Santa Pola south of Alicante and a population of 30,000 Santa Pola is the Natural Park of the Salinas and the castle-fort, that dates from 1557 Santa Pola preserves a great architectural heritage the lookout towers they are 4 and date from 1552 that were constructed to prevent the pirate attacks the lighthouse the port and the cisterns of Massapá, designed to keep the drinking water of the rain since the eighteenth century.
Santa Pola has the European awarded blue flag beaches, which the European Union awards for environmental quality.
Santa Pola is a derivation of Santa Paula derived from the Latin name of the apostle St. Paul who, according to tradition, landed on the island of Tabarca.
Santa Pola is a coastal municipality with 52.8 km² a good part of which is protected by natural land. To the west, there is the Natural Park of the Salinas de Santa Pola, and to the east, there are the Sierra and the Cape of Santa Pola.
The coastline is 13 km long and can be divided into several sectors. From the southern border with Elche to the town center we find a fine strip of sand, which separates the salt flats from the sea the beaches of El Pinet and La Gola.
The urban beaches are the Tamarit, Lisa and Gran Playa west of the port east of the Levante, the coves of Santiago Bernabeu, (a succession of small beaches separated artificially by piers) and the Varadero, which is next to the shipyards.
The entire coast is narrow and rugged, with small coves that are under a cliff. The cape itself is a first-order geodesic vertex and is also known as the cape of Aljub. It has on it a third-order beacon installed since 1858 on the old tower of the Atalayola. In front of the cape, less than three nautical miles, is the Island of Tabarca, also called Isla Plana or Santa Pola, which belongs to the municipality of Alicante.
Access to Castillo-Fortaleza, Santa Pola
The North east is occupied by the Sierra de Santa Pola, a kind of tabular promontory composed of blue marls and yellowish molasses that reaches a maximum altitude of 143 meters in place Where the lighthouse is.
The North west zone, inland, corresponds to a quaternary type plain where the only agricultural area of the term has been developed
The whole southern half coincides with the marsh land area of the Albufera de Elche, Separated from the sea by an arrow of sand with dunes. In this area salt marshes had been extracted from time, the large areas today dominate its landscape began to take shape at the end of the nineteenth century (700 hectares in the Braç del Port) and were expanded at the beginning of the twentieth century.